Nettymus' Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Have to add some stuff

Ok, so in addition to all the stuff I said about gay marriage, here is what I really think should happen. "Marriage" in the government shouldn't exist. Everything governmental should be civil unions or some such thing (I'll just call them unions). Marriage should be religious, and separate. So you get your union when you want to be governmentally and legally bound together, and you get married for the religious part. No tax breaks or anything for anyone who is married, and little or probably none for the unions. Anyone could get unions, it's just a legal joining of two people. Friends could get a union if that though it a good idea. It would basically just be declaring your own legally closet relative (just like your spouse becomes now when you marry them) and attributing all rights and responsibilities to them. People that got married would usually get a Union in addition. Child tax breaks would be given when people have children--people with unions or married-- it doesn't matter; if you have a kid you get a tax break. And to Answer Julia's question about if I was told I couldn't get married because I was Irish, I'd be fine with that, because it would be the government telling me that. I would get "married" in my church and say screw the government. I'd get the civil union to have my rights in regards to Chris, and I'd be happy. I don't really care what the government thinks of my personal life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home